Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Love is...

If you’re not the one then why does my soul feel glad today?
If you’re not the one then why does my hand fit yours this way?
If you are not mine then why does your heart return my call?
If you are not mine would I have the strength to stand at all?

I'll never know what the future brings
But I know you're here with me now
We’ll make it through
And I hope you are the one I share my life with

I don’t want to run away but I can’t take it, I don’t understand
If I’m not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?
Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?

If I don’t need you then why am I crying on my bed?
If I don’t need you then why does your name resound in my head?
If you’re not for me then why does this distance maim my life?
If you’re not for me then why do I dream of you as my wife?


Those are just the opening lyrics to this really pretty Daniel Bedingfield song...it's a little old but it was on today and when I really read the lyrics I was sort of bummed. The lyrics make me feel like there is no personal choice in matters of love. I so disagree with this. I think that there are certain people we are prone to feel a chemistry or electricity with. However, love is not "meant to be" and it doesn't "just happen". Love is something that, to an extent, one can control. I hate hearing that "I can't help loving so and so". I don't wanna sound cynical, like I don't believe that there is something magical about love...I DO believe that. But, I don't think it's this completely thoughtless emotion we just fall into.

I certainly feel that Daniel and I have a special, unique relationship that is rarely found. However, I don't think we "just fell in love". I think that we were both seeking a certain relationship at the same time, we both have traits the for which the other was looking, our characteristics brought out the best in the other person, and we WANTED to be in love. The timing was right. I hate feel like I'm taking the magic out of love.....I don't think I am...well, sometimes I do feel that way. I'm gonna work on figuring this out and get back to all of you. Because there IS magic...yet love is also personal choices....confusing to explain!

Am I wrong? Completely stupid for feeling this way? Any input is welcome....in fact...I need input on this topic!

No comments: