Friday, May 21, 2010

Small Rant

As some of you may or may not know, two years ago I found out that I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis, which is a type of IBD. Turns out I've had it for years but the symptoms were embarrassing when I was younger so I didn't mention them - luckily I'm an open book now and not much gets me all red in the face!! If you want to know more just click here: (Ulcerative Colitis) and it'll give you a vague idea of what is going on with the disease. I had a hard time adjusting to things and hate taking the medication for this condition - and during pregnancy I didn't take the medicine. Now, I'm breastfeeding and not sure the medication is allowed. Unfortunately, my UC is definitely acting up and making things in that department unpleasant to say the least. Anyway, I'm surviving and have a doctor's appt in 2 weeks to see what we can do to clear up the flare while I'm feeding Abigail. I refuse to stop breastfeeding right now...so we'll see what can be done!

Moving on, I was looking at some tips for UC sufferers and came across the following:

"Since UC is genetic, it is probably wise for its sufferers to remain childless. After all, no one wants to pass along such a serious condition to a descendant. In my own family, one of my grandfathers had UC, his wife had diverticulitis, Dad had hemorrhoids, Mom has Crohn's, and I, of course, UC."

Is that guy for real? What an ASS. Sorry to be rude, but honestly, what a jerk!! Now that I have a daughter, I can't imagine giving up the opportunity to be her mother because she MIGHT inherit this illness from me. In fact, if she is going to have this disease, isn't it better her mother be a sufferer as well? I know the symptoms to look for to get help for Abigail early on. I know the foods for her to avoid. I know the best medications and treatments. Some studies have even shown that mothers who have UC and breastfeed are actually helping to PREVENT this illness in their child. I have been through the ringer with this so I know the emotional toll it can take and would most definitely be able to guide Abigail in that department.

I am just sick at this suggestion. Absolutely sick! UGH!!

1 comment:

KiwiChops said...

well, totally agree...this person should re-think a comment like that.

It made me think of one of our mayors (!) here in New Zealand saying it would be best if lower income people living on the benefit would get themselves castrated so they would not procreate... not the same subject but the same stupid way of thinking...

Hope your daughter doesn't have it (keeping fingers crossed) but if she does, nobody better than you to help her with it!

hope you are feeling better too?