Monday, August 23, 2010

Capabilities

Sometimes, I doubt my abilities as a mother. Particularly because I work full time. And because I have no experience with kids. I love my career and the fulfillment with which it provides me, and with Daniel in school, we've decided this is the best situation for us. We are both immensely happy on our current path, but sometimes, as I assume happens with all mothers, doubts began to creep into my mind.

I wonder if my daughter senses my absence and is worse off for it. I worry she will be close to her father and not me. I fear she thinks I can't bear to be near her because I leave each morning. I know none of these concerns are valid, but sometimes I let the doubts slip in anyway. I say "I let" because I can, and am usually able to control those worries and choose to feel positively about my capabilities as a mother. Never in my life, have I been more aware of Satan's desire to destroy the family unit; yet, never in my life have I been more determined to prevent that presence from destroying what Daniel and I have worked so hard to create.

Today, I really didn't want to leave my darling girl (and hearing about how she fed herself pears and made a big mess this morning made it harder!!) so I needed a bit of an emotional boost. I found some talks regarding parenting...Enjoy:

There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family. Many are able to be “full-time moms,” at least during the most formative years of their children’s lives, and many others would like to be. Some may have to work part-or full-time; some may work at home; some may divide their lives into periods of home and family and work. What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else. - M. Russell Ballard



First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction. - M. Russell Ballard


(Abigail playing with Auntie Katie and Uncle Nicolas - she is so blessed to have them in her life!!!)

3 comments:

JamesnMeagan said...

I know how you feel. I work too so I always feel the same way. I have to remind myself too that I know I'm doing what's best for my family right now. :)

Katie H said...

My mom worked most of my childhood & I have never regretted it. Please don't think you're a bad mom because of that. And I think you face what most, if not all, moms do...uncertainty & worries that you're not doing your best. My sister told me something that helped her when she had her first...someone told her, "You are the best possible mom for your child." And so I repeat it to you, "You are the best possible mom for Abigail. No one else can be her mom like you can." Remember these words. And remind me of them sometime next year, when I'm feeling sad about my abilities as a mother too. :) Love you.

Anonymous said...

The very fact that you DO worry about whether you are a good enough mother and are doing the right things IS the very indication that you ARE a good mom!! Trust me...Grandaddy's know these things!!