Friday, April 22, 2011

Tough Enough

"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity." -Margaret D. Nadauld 

I saw this on a friend's blog and had to repost. It's the part through the word "kind" that really got to me.
Those of you who know Daniel and I may also know that I'm quite tough on him. It's not intentional, but I seem to have impossible-to-meet expectations for him than any other person in my life. There's nothing wrong with having high expectations of your loved ones....in fact, I think it's a good thing in regards to motivation. 

BUT, when my impossible expectations aren't met I often come down hard on Daniel. I get very coarse, unyielding, and inflexible. I get this from the women in my family, all of who are VERY tough, hard-working, somewhat rigid women. Each of them has had (maybe they had to? or maybe they didn't know how else to react?) to become this way due to circumstances in  her life (death of a spouse, long drawn out divorce, business, medical problems, etc.). I've suffered none of those circumstances, yet I've picked up on their traits and at times can become a very difficult woman to live with. 

I love that this quote reminds me to choose the soft and tender reaction rather than the reaction I tend to choose when I interact with Daniel. 


No comments: